Skip to main content

Free Pokeball Crochet Pattern

A few years ago while prepping for a local craft show, I developed this Pokeball pattern, thinking it would be popular with kids (and kids at heart).  I made a total of six for that particular show, and sold every single one of them.  They've become a stock staple now, and each time I have them at a show I sell at least a few (if not all) of them.

Not only do they sell well, they're fantastic attention grabbers too!  I typically display them in a large platter at the front of my table, and they've attracted numerous folks to my table.  I now know the favorite Pokémon of many children, who are excited that someone 'older' gets it.  

I have been meaning to write up this pattern into a more legible form for some time now, and finally have managed to do it.  To give you an idea as to what the original pattern looked like, which I wrote down as I was making my first ever pokeball...

Make sense to anyone else?  Or just me??  Haha!

The full pattern is available below, or you can download a free PDF copy from my Ravelry store. (While you're there, check out the other patterns I have available too!)


Pokeball Crochet Pattern
by Shaina Dyson (Made By Smree)

You will need:
  • 4.5mm hook
  • Worsted weight yarn (any brand)
  • White
  • Black
  • Color of choice (IE, red)
  • Yarn needle
  • Small amount of poly-fil
  • One button*
  • Sewing needle & thread
*I typically use these buttons from Hobby Lobby (Sew-ology brand) as I love how they look, but as you can see from the photos above, any type of button will work!  Don't be afraid to experiment with different styles and make your pokeballs unique!

BEGIN WITH WHITE YARN
Row one: Begin with magic ring, sc 10, join with sl st to first sc (10)
Row two: ch1, *2sc in each st, join with sl st to first sc (20)
Row three: ch1, sc around, join with sl st to first sc (20)
Row four: ch1, *sc in first st, 2sc in next, repeat from * around, join with sl st to first sc (30)
Row five & six: ch1, sc in each st around, join with sl st to first sc (30)
Row seven: ch1, *sc in next two st, 2sc in next, repeat from * around, join with sl to first sc (40)
CHANGE TO BLACK YARN
Rows eight & nine: ch1, sc around, join with sl to first sc (40)
CHANGE TO RED YARN
Row ten: ch1, sc around, join with sl to first sc (40)
Row eleven: ch1, *sc in next two st, sc2tog, repeat from * around, join with sl st to first sc (30)
Before continuing, pause here and sew on the button (Trust me on this!). I typically sew mine on right
where the joins are between the three colors, but you can put yours anywhere you like!


Also, as a note on the loose ends inside the pokeball – I usually just tie the ends where I changed the
colors, knot all the ends together and leave as is inside the ball. See the photo below.
You can weave them in if you like, but this is easier and has no effect on the ball's appearance!


Row twelve & thirteen: ch1, sc in each st around, join with sl st to first sc (30)
Row fourteen: ch1, *sc in first st, sc2tog, repeat from * around, join with sl st to first sc (20)
Row fifteen: ch1, sc around, join with sl st to first sc (20)
Row sixteen: ch1, sc2tog, repeat around, join with sl st to first sc (10)

Stuff with poly-fil until ball reaches desired squishy-ness. :)
Row seventeen: ch1, sc2tog, repeat around, join with sl st to first sc (5)

FO, leaving a longer length of yarn, and use yarn needle to sew top of ball closed, weave in end.
Go out and catch them all!


Follow MadeBySmree using the links below, and be sure to tag me in your finished photos!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern

 (Check out this handy dandy Pinterest ready graphic I made!) In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, one of the dwarves (Bofur) wore this really, really awesome hat.  I fell in love with it, and decided to see if I could crochet my own version of it.  Well, first I scoured the internet, hoping for a pattern, and when I didn't find one THEN I decided to make my own.  And since I know there are others out there who would love to have this pattern, I'm posting it here! PLEASE NOTE: You may make items and sell them using this pattern, but PLEASE link back to the pattern and credit me as the source. It's only fair! :) The Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern You will need: Red Heart Super Saver (I forgot the actual color name, but it’s brown, okay?) Lion Brand Homespun in Edwardian H hook, I hook HAT : with I hook and brown yarn Chain 5 & join with sl st Ch 2, work 11 DC into loop, join with sl st (11) Ch 2, work 2 DC into each st, jo

As Seen on Pinterest - The Retirement Survival Kit

One of my co-workers recently retired. I'm happy for her, because she really deserves it and everything...but I hate that she's leaving me!  I tried to bribe her into staying. I even threatened to lock her in the office and refuse to let her go.  Oddly, she didn't like that suggestion.  Since she was set on this notion of retirement, I immediately began scouring Pinterest for some sort of cute retirement gift for her. I knew I'd find something there, and I was not disappointed! Fairly soon after beginning my search, I came across the 'Retirement Survival Kit'.  (Photo from Pinterest - original pin link ) The pin was a link to an eBay auction, but of course my first thought on seeing it was "I can do that!". So I did.   I really should have taken a better photo of it. But this is all I managed to get. So, uh, ta da! I changed a few of the items around (the original link was from the UK, so some of the items weren't available)

As Seen on Pinterest: Pillar of Cloud and Fire Craft

Woo hoo! It's time for another As Seen on Pinterest post!  This time, it was a cute little kids' craft to go along with the story of Moses and the Children of Israel being led through the wilderness by the pillar of cloud by day, and fire by night. It fit nicely into one of our Sunday School lessons this quarter, so we decided to give it a whirl! Here's the original pin: You'll need toilet paper tubes, construction paper, tissue paper (white and orange), scissors and tape. It's a pretty straightforward craft, really. Cut the construction paper to cover the tube and tape it down. Then cut a generous square of the tissue paper (one in each color) and use some tape to stick it to the insides of the tube. That part is a bit tricky, but with some finagling, it can be done! And that's it! Isn't it cute? The kiddos loved them too. It was so great hearing them telling others what it was and what it signified. Unt