Skip to main content

My Quest to become a Polyglot

I am fascinated by language.  I'm not really sure if I can articulate why, truthfully, but it's been that way for as long as I can remember.  I've been a 'word nerd' since my elementary school days, and have always enjoyed utilizing unique vocabulary into my everyday speech (much to the chagrin of others, I am sure!).

Despite my fascination with languages, I never undertook the task of attempting to learn a second language.  I dabbled, at best, using apps like Duolingo and such, but never went further than simply learning a few basic words and phrases.

Then, several years ago, my friend (Hi, Ace!) introduced me to a YouTube channel of a husband and wife who at the time, were living in Korea.  I was quickly sucked in by the channel, and watched a ton of videos (still haven't managed to make it through all of them!).  I was enthralled by the aspects of Korean culture they highlighted, such as K-pop, Korean beauty products and the Korean language.

As a result, one day while scrolling through Twitter, a suggested account popped up, which was that of Talk to Me in Korean, a website dedicated to helping people learn Korean.  And so, mostly on a whim (as seems to be my typical modus operandi), I followed the account, decided to give the free lessons a go, and see what happened.


I was hooked, pretty much from the start.  The podcast lessons were PERFECT to listen to on my drive to and from work, and I used the free PDF files to reinforce what I was learning.  But it wasn't enough.  Fortunately, Talk to Me in Korean offers a plethora of books and materials...and I have since bought many of them.  >.<
I've worked my way through their level one course, as well as the Hangeul Master book, and I'm currently going through level two before diving into a few other books I've gotten.

My Korean is still not that great, and I've slacked often in my studies (but hey, a Masters Degree program eats up a lot of free time!), but I'm learning.  Just slowly.  Which is fine! It isn't a race, after all.  I'm working now on building my vocabulary, and practicing with pronunciation and building sentences.  If you follow me on any social media, you'll see me posting from time to time in Korean, which is part of how I practice.
According to my younger brother, about 90% of the Korean I DO know is food related.  My argument is that food is important, therefore important to know!   Right?  Right.

Anyway.

But, you're probably thinking, how does learning ONE additional language make you a polyglot-in-training?  Truthfully, it doesn't.  But let me continue.

Last year, I became an aunt to the absolutely coolest little kid to ever walk the planet (why no, I am not partial at all, why do you ask?), courtesy of my brother and sister-in-law, who adopted him.  He is deaf, so my sis-in-law has been teaching him sign language, and my family (myself included!) have been learning as well to communicate with him too.

Naturally, as the overachiever that I am, I decided to go full on and enroll myself in an online ASL course at the local community college.  There are some great free resources out there too, of course, but I wanted something with a bit more structure. 

I'm a few weeks into my course now, and I can thus far sign my name, that I am learning sign language online, along with a few other details about myself.  As with Korean, its moving fairly slowly, but hey, progress is progress. 

Eventually, I'll reach my polyglot status.  It may take me til I'm 90, but hey, it keeps me busy.  And I've got my eyes on other languages I'd like to learn too.  The local college offers a class in conversational Japanese, and I'm interested in learning Tagalog too.  But those will come in time.

So, you're probably thinking - what's the point to all this?

Part of my reason for wanting to post this is to show that you don't really HAVE to have a reason for wanting to do something to actually do it.  I truly had no reason to want to learn Korean other than that I just simply wanted to.  If you want to do something that you feel will better yourself, be it learning a new language, taking on a new hobby, embarking on a new fitness regimen, or something similar - go for it!  You don't HAVE to explain yourself to anyone. 
Take on those new challenges, and enjoy the journey!

If you, like me, are interested in language learning, below are some links I've found incredibly helpful along my journey so far.  

Talk to Me in Korean
First Step Korean from Coursera

ASL for Free - Gallaudet University
Signing Savvy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern

 (Check out this handy dandy Pinterest ready graphic I made!) In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, one of the dwarves (Bofur) wore this really, really awesome hat.  I fell in love with it, and decided to see if I could crochet my own version of it.  Well, first I scoured the internet, hoping for a pattern, and when I didn't find one THEN I decided to make my own.  And since I know there are others out there who would love to have this pattern, I'm posting it here! PLEASE NOTE: You may make items and sell them using this pattern, but PLEASE link back to the pattern and credit me as the source. It's only fair! :) The Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern You will need: Red Heart Super Saver (I forgot the actual color name, but it’s brown, okay?) Lion Brand Homespun in Edwardian H hook, I hook HAT : with I hook and brown yarn Chain 5 & join with sl st Ch 2, work 11 DC into loop, join with sl st (11) Ch 2, work 2 DC into each st, jo

As Seen on Pinterest - The Retirement Survival Kit

One of my co-workers recently retired. I'm happy for her, because she really deserves it and everything...but I hate that she's leaving me!  I tried to bribe her into staying. I even threatened to lock her in the office and refuse to let her go.  Oddly, she didn't like that suggestion.  Since she was set on this notion of retirement, I immediately began scouring Pinterest for some sort of cute retirement gift for her. I knew I'd find something there, and I was not disappointed! Fairly soon after beginning my search, I came across the 'Retirement Survival Kit'.  (Photo from Pinterest - original pin link ) The pin was a link to an eBay auction, but of course my first thought on seeing it was "I can do that!". So I did.   I really should have taken a better photo of it. But this is all I managed to get. So, uh, ta da! I changed a few of the items around (the original link was from the UK, so some of the items weren't available)

As Seen on Pinterest: Pillar of Cloud and Fire Craft

Woo hoo! It's time for another As Seen on Pinterest post!  This time, it was a cute little kids' craft to go along with the story of Moses and the Children of Israel being led through the wilderness by the pillar of cloud by day, and fire by night. It fit nicely into one of our Sunday School lessons this quarter, so we decided to give it a whirl! Here's the original pin: You'll need toilet paper tubes, construction paper, tissue paper (white and orange), scissors and tape. It's a pretty straightforward craft, really. Cut the construction paper to cover the tube and tape it down. Then cut a generous square of the tissue paper (one in each color) and use some tape to stick it to the insides of the tube. That part is a bit tricky, but with some finagling, it can be done! And that's it! Isn't it cute? The kiddos loved them too. It was so great hearing them telling others what it was and what it signified. Unt