Skip to main content

Earth Day 2021 - Small Changes to Make an Impact

 First of all - Happy Earth Day! 


Secondly, as a brief aside, let me say that this post was not sponsored in any way.  I just personally like the products included here and wanted to share them.  That is all! 


As I said, today is Earth Day, which is basically a day set aside to bring attention to the environmental movement, or “to diversify, educate, and activate the environmental movement worldwide”, according to EarthDay.org.


I do not in any manner profess to be the leading authority on the environmental movement, but I have made the conscious decision to try to be less wasteful, and to make some small changes in order to do what I can for the planet we call home.  Do I still use single-use plastics, and generate more trash that I probably should?  The answer is yes.  But - doing something is better than doing nothing, and my point here is that even small changes can help.


The first change I made was to use less disposable plastic bottles.  I drink a lot of water over the course of the day, and if I used plastic bottles, this would result in a lot of plastic being thrown away. 


I’ve been a fan of reusable bottles for a while, just because they keep my water colder over long periods, but my favorite bottles that I’ve found have been the S’well brand.  They’re a bit pricey, but they last.  I picked up one at TJ Maxx about a year or so ago, and a second on Amazon a few months back.  There are multiple sizes available, but my favorite is the 25oz.  It’s big enough so that I don’t have to refill it incredibly often, but small enough that it isn’t quite as awkward to carry.


And I’m not kidding when I say they last.  I’ve dropped mine and banged them around quite often - it makes an incredible noise when you drop a metal bottle on concrete, just so you know - and although they’re a bit scuffed and dinged up, they still work just as well as the day I bought them.  


The second change I’ve made is to use less disposable k-cups.  I’m fairly certain that I haven’t hidden my coffee addiction too well (or at all), but as it grew to a multiple-cups-per-day level, I started feeling a bit guilty over so many k-cups ending up in the trash.  


So, with my boss’ gracious permission, I now have my very own personal coffee pot in my office! 


Isn’t it beautiful?


While technically it’s a 5-cup coffee pot...it’s usually around two cups for me. But, to be fair, my favorite mugs are ginormous.  Anyway, the coffee pot has been a wonderful addition, both in terms of caffeination and that I am using way, way, way less plastic now, which was my goal. 


The final change I made in my bid to use less disposable plastic in my daily life was to purchase a more eco-friendly utensil set to keep at my desk.  I found an inexpensive one on Amazon, and it’s been worth every penny! 


The fact that it’s pink just makes it so much better.


I use the spoon most often (in my coffee, of course), but I use the knife and fork occasionally for my lunches.  I’m able to wash them quickly in the break room at work, and then they’re ready for the next day.  No more waste!


While I’ve been taking steps in attempting to reduce my own dependence on single-use plastics (and not just the ones listed here!), plastic waste is still a huge problem.  Back around Christmas, my Dad mentioned he had seen a company called 4Ocean that sold bracelets to help fund the removal of plastic from the ocean.  I did some research, and the for-profit company sells other products too, all to help fund the removal of plastic from the oceans.  


Now, am I saying that they’re the best company ever and you should spend all your money there to support the cause? Nope.  


All I am saying is this:  I’d rather support a company (even if it’s for-profit) that is giving back somehow.  4Ocean does that, and I like that. 


Plus, the bracelets are really, really cute. Each month there is a special limited edition style featured, but there are some available year-round. When I first looked into the site, the limited edition bracelet for the month was called 'Stingray'...and I bought them almost immediately.


My Stingray bracelets, which I adore dearly. 


Their site sells other products too, as I mentioned, and they’re beginning to use plastic they’ve pulled from the oceans to create new products - like phone cases, for example.  


As I said at the beginning, I’m by no means an expert on the environmental movement.  However, I am one person who has made the decision to implement changes into my lifestyle in order to do what I can to help out.  


Imagine what would happen if more people did the same.
Happy Earth Day, everyone!

Comments

  1. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed material. Fantastic read. Best best insulated water bottle service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that blog with us. If anyone here searching custom bracelets rubber then visit PR Design.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern

 (Check out this handy dandy Pinterest ready graphic I made!) In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, one of the dwarves (Bofur) wore this really, really awesome hat.  I fell in love with it, and decided to see if I could crochet my own version of it.  Well, first I scoured the internet, hoping for a pattern, and when I didn't find one THEN I decided to make my own.  And since I know there are others out there who would love to have this pattern, I'm posting it here! PLEASE NOTE: You may make items and sell them using this pattern, but PLEASE link back to the pattern and credit me as the source. It's only fair! :) The Bofur Inspired Hat Pattern You will need: Red Heart Super Saver (I forgot the actual color name, but it’s brown, okay?) Lion Brand Homespun in Edwardian H hook, I hook HAT : with I hook and brown yarn Chain 5 & join with sl st Ch 2, work 11 DC into loop, join with sl st (11) Ch 2, work 2 DC into each st, jo

As Seen on Pinterest - The Retirement Survival Kit

One of my co-workers recently retired. I'm happy for her, because she really deserves it and everything...but I hate that she's leaving me!  I tried to bribe her into staying. I even threatened to lock her in the office and refuse to let her go.  Oddly, she didn't like that suggestion.  Since she was set on this notion of retirement, I immediately began scouring Pinterest for some sort of cute retirement gift for her. I knew I'd find something there, and I was not disappointed! Fairly soon after beginning my search, I came across the 'Retirement Survival Kit'.  (Photo from Pinterest - original pin link ) The pin was a link to an eBay auction, but of course my first thought on seeing it was "I can do that!". So I did.   I really should have taken a better photo of it. But this is all I managed to get. So, uh, ta da! I changed a few of the items around (the original link was from the UK, so some of the items weren't available)

As Seen on Pinterest: Pillar of Cloud and Fire Craft

Woo hoo! It's time for another As Seen on Pinterest post!  This time, it was a cute little kids' craft to go along with the story of Moses and the Children of Israel being led through the wilderness by the pillar of cloud by day, and fire by night. It fit nicely into one of our Sunday School lessons this quarter, so we decided to give it a whirl! Here's the original pin: You'll need toilet paper tubes, construction paper, tissue paper (white and orange), scissors and tape. It's a pretty straightforward craft, really. Cut the construction paper to cover the tube and tape it down. Then cut a generous square of the tissue paper (one in each color) and use some tape to stick it to the insides of the tube. That part is a bit tricky, but with some finagling, it can be done! And that's it! Isn't it cute? The kiddos loved them too. It was so great hearing them telling others what it was and what it signified. Unt